Monday, May 08, 2006

Okay, I'm a little slow...

Well, better late than never.

A few months ago, my brother Jeremy told me about this dude who was making albums for each of the fifty states. My first impression of what that would be like was somewhere between John Linnell's State Songs (celebrating the geography geek in all of us) and Atom and His Package (obviously some guy with a mic and a computer making records in his bedroom). The best I hoped for was an amusing novelty record. Boy, was I wrong.

Last week, Jeremy finally let me borrow the second of these albums by Sufjan Stevens: Illinois. I know, I know the cover says "Come On, Feel the Illinoise" But I am assured that the title is, in fact, simply Illinois. In addition to this kitschy entreaty, you may notice the cartoon drawings presumably designed to reinforce the feeling that this is a homemade endeavor. But the product is anything but amateur.

This album is astonishingly well-produced and the complexity of the sound in some places is dizzying, while it's simplicity in others is truly moving. The first time you listen, it's nearly impossible to not be swept up in the beats and melodies, or to not be impressed with Mr. Stevens vocal range and delivery. It took me a full 3 listens to even get my bearings due to the delightfully unconventional track breaks and titles, but once I was oriented I was in heaven.

Today was my first listen where I was able to begin deciphering the lyrics. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I like a puzzle with my song lyrics, and Illinois does not disappoint. The difference with this record is that part of the puzzle is discovering the myriad references to the titular state (I've taken to keeping Wikipedia open while listening), which vary from Casimir Pulaski Day to Metropolis. It also serves as somewhat of a vocabulary lesson- maybe you know the word revenant, but have a go at Xylophagan.

Add these elements together, and the experience is like a sonic cornucopia, a highly stimulating virtual tour of The Land of Lincoln, a veritable musical road map of the soul of a state, as drawn by one man. I only wish I had known about it sooner! Apparently, this album was universally acclaimed by critics when released last year. In fact, this album was the most highly rated CD of the year according to metacritic.com's tracking of music critics, and it made 27 different critic's 10 best lists (the most of any 2005 CD).

So if you haven't heard it, at least check it out at Amazon or iTunes. As for me, I'll have it on repeat until The Avalanche comes out!

2 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff,

You should check this out.
http://www.metacritic.com/music/bests/2005.shtml

-Ben

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Hmmm... I'm confused- I thought I linked to that in the second to last paragraph of the post. Am I missing something?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home