Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Where have you been for the last five months? Oh, wait- that would be me. Partly, I've been protesting the complete lack of quality entertainment over the summer months. Let's face it- So You Think You Can Dance is a good diversion, but it's not exactly art. Partly, I've been without a time to write, what with Desparate Houswives off the air. Mostly, I've been lazy. Anyhow, I'm back to give it another go.

In that last paragraph, I bitched about how there was no good entertainment this summer. Well, that may be true for network TV and commercial films, but I still found some ways to while away the locked-in-the-air-conditioning hours. First and foremost, Jodes and I discovered the best genre show on TV, which also happens to be one of the best shows of any type on TV: Battlestar Galactica.

This show has most everything you'd want a drama to have. Intensity? Check. Emotion? Got it. Relevant? You better believe it. Granted, some people may have to adjust to the framework- sure, it takes place on a spaceship and the human race is being driven to extinction by robots- but once you accept that, it's one of the most poignant, issue driven shows out there. Seriously! We're dealing with the limits of presidential power, the ethics of abortion law when the species is in danger, and even when it's okay to use suicide bombers. And this is just in the last few episodes. So, if you're inclined to accept Sci-Fi as a genre, give it a look-see. You can check out the first 2 seasons on DVD or the recap/catch-up episode for free on iTunes, and once you get caught up, it's on Friday Nights on the SciFi Channel. You won't reget it.

More later on good stuff I discovered this summer, including the old Wicker Man, Sufjan Stevens in concert and the joy of fake hip-hop.

5 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But there are all those dials and gauges and space..
I am so glad the Pop Pirate is back!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suz and I just watched the Premiere last week and loved it - What a great setup for a show.

We have started watching Season1, I was initially hesitant about the show because it seemed to - serious - we were watching Firefly about the time it came out. But alas I think that I was wrong. I'm very impressed with the little that I have seen.

-Ben

Salon.com gave it the "Buffy" Award, which is "an annual token of our deep and abiding love for a relatively underappreciated TV show"
http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2006/08/26/buffy/index.html

Previous winners:
Veronica Mars
The Wire

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was wondering what happened to you... i guess if teachers can take the summer off so can the pop pirate... anyways, i thought the summer films were really good... i saw a couple that i thought were amazing this summer...

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Ben: I was also very worried about BSG being too serious. And it is serious, but it's so often thought provoking and uplifting, you don't care so much...

Ricky: My crime this summer was not going to see the good films that were out there, with a few exceptions. So now I'm playing catch up on Netflix. I've got Thank You For Smoking and Lucky Number Slevin on the way right now... Any other can't misses?

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

both those you chose are ok... here's a couple that i thought were really good...

16 blocks (good old fashioned 80s action flick)
three burials of melquiadas estrada (a throwback to sam peckinpah)
slither (a fun horror/comedy with the cap'n)
akeelah and the bee (a real crowd pleaser)
hard candy (a great thriller)
friends with money (an incisive dramedy)
wordplay (a fun doc about crossword puzzles)
little miss sunshine (the best film this year so far)
x3 (i thought that overall, this was the best of the 3)
superman returns (it's superman)
descent (a little horror gem from across the pond)
devils wears prada (another oscar nod for streep)

there's a lot of others that were pretty good such as "over the hedge", "inside man", & "silent hill"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home